Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Off the HizzOOK vegan strawberry ice cream (50% raw)


Oh, I had some major cravings tonight for dessert. I saw a photo somewhere of some cheesecake and couldn't stop thinking about it. I wanted something creamy and rich and sweet with berries and chocolate. Fortunately, just today I was in the International District and picked up several cans of Coconut Cream. I also bought fresh young coconuts, but I don't think this dessert would have come out quite the same had I used fresh. So as far as raw desserts go, this one is kind of a cheat--canned Coconut Cream has most likely been heated and definitely processed with the addition of preservatives. But, I reckon it's not nearly as bad as the cheesecake I would have gotten. Here is what went into this delicious ice cream, made in the Vitamix (but you could probably make it in a food processor as well...not sure about a standard blender). This recipe makes one serving if you're a pig like me.

1 frozen banana
2 large frozen strawberries
about 3 heaping tablespoons full of chilled Coconut Cream
1/4" snip of vanilla bean
about 9 cashews
few dashes of salt
maple syrup to taste (can use agave or whatever sweetener you choose, or some dates)
approx. 2 tablespoons nut milk or apple juice

Start the Vitamix on low to try and break up the large chunks of frozen fruit. I had to keep poking it down with the plastic tamper that comes with the Vitamix. Do this as quickly as possible-- you don't want to let the mixture get too warm if you want it to taste like ice cream. The VitaMix has such a high speed motor that it can blend things together before they get warm, which often happens in a food processor. The coldness of the frozen fruit keeps the coconut cream firm as it blends together. So whatever appliance you have handy, blend this up any way you can. It would probably be yummy if it weren't super cold but I wanted it cold to resemble ice cream and also because I had plans to drizzle melted chocolate on top which hardened like Magic Shell. Yum. Again, not completely raw, but vegan, and so much better for you than cheesecake or dairy ice cream.

Of course, you could replace the strawberries with any other type of frozen fruit. Mango, blueberry, raspberry, peach, etc.. Especially in the summer, I remember to buy extra fruit and freeze some. When strawberries are in season they cost less, so I cut their tops off, halve them and freeze in a ziploc freezer bag. I also did this with peaches last summer. Freeze mangos when you can find them on sale and make Mango Lassis on a hot summer day. I will post that recipe soon!

By the way, although you can usually find coconut milk, coconut cream is rarely available in mainstream grocery stores. I haven't even seen it at natural food stores--it is just not a popular enough item yet. Find it at Asian grocers, particularly Southeast Asian markets, and make sure you get Coconut Cream not Cream of Coconut which is heavily sweetened for use in mixed drinks.

Coconut is a super healthy food to include in your diet. Here are some of the many health benefits of coconut. Coconut oil specifically is a beneficial addition, and despite its being mostly a saturated fat, it actually assists weight loss. Read more about coconut oil HERE . Enjoy your dessert...good night!

Oh, and did you say you don't have a Vita-Mix? Hmm...would you like to do something about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment