Monday, August 9, 2010

Green powders and supplements

young coconut meat and water, mango, banana, cashew, Pure Synergy powder--YUM!
 Many people tell me that they started including smoothies in their daily diet, which gets me really excited--we really are creating a revolution with the way we feed ourselves. And I notice that most people begin with using green "Superfoods" in their smoothies, instead of using fresh whole greens like I usually do. I would say that this is primarily due to the marketing of superfoods and how prevalent they are in nutrition centers, natural food stores and online in advertisements. Also, green powder supplements can be added to any drink made in any blender, while a heavy duty appliance such as a VitaMix is needed to process whole greens smoothly. So my take on it is that superfoods are a great place to start, as you transition into getting more and more of your nutrients from whole foods, and even then, it can't hurt to continue using them.

 Pure Synergy Superfood
 is the green superfood I started with and enjoy.
complete description of ingredients
Once I started consuming kale, chard, collards or spinach daily, I no longer felt the need to use the powder. However, this particular blend contains so many incredible nutrients that I bought another jar and use it whenever I've run out of greens or am too lazy to go out to the garden (the rainy, dreary Seattle weather can do that to you). I used it today because I ate a lot of greens yesterday and felt like it was good to take a day off. Victoria Boutenko recommends that we rotate our greens and not eat the same kind every day, because the leaves produce low levels of a toxin that prevents animals from nibbling them completely off the stalk. Each type of plant produces a slightly different type of this toxin so as long as we are rotating and using different types of greens throughout the week, we won't ingest too much of each one.

But back to green powders, there are so many on the market, it's hard to decide which one to use. I chose the Pure Synergy one based on the intent with which it was created, the impressive list of ingredients, and the testimonial by Dr. Gabriel Cousens. I would suggest doing your own research and let your heart guide you. Raw Vegan Source has many options to choose from including their own brand. They are great people who provide a great service to the raw community and beyond.

Ultimately I wish to stress the importance of eating as much living food as possible. Raw is good, living is best. That means freshly-picked organic produce, unwashed if possible so you get the benefits of the naturally-occurring b-12 and beneficial bacteria on the plants, and also sprouted and fermented foods. Consider your green powder the back-up nutritional source to your plant-based whole foods diet and then rely upon it when traveling or low on fresh food. The smoothie pictured above was made with 100% fresh fruit and coconut, with cashews added for protein, and a teaspoon of Pure Synergy powder. It was delicious and filling, and I didn't have to go out in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment